Monday, November 28, 2005

Sunday Times and all that

I've had my nose to the grindstone over the last few days, and so had to put blogging on the backburner. I was working on a story for the Sunday Times, about our dearly beloved governor DSP Alamieyeseigha, aka Tina. I got an additional reporting credit for the story, which is good, but I don't know if it counts as a proper byline. Does it? My mama is proud anyway, which is always a good thing. Perhaps her hobo son might yet make good. So much more could have gone into it, but there was a huge amount of speculation surrounding the story. Nobody was willing to go on record, and the interesting aspects could have been just mere conjecture. Good sources to corroborate stories were hard to come by. As with many things Nigerian, reliable information was the hardest thing to get hold of. Thanks to all the people in Naij and here who help put the story together. I won't mention names, you know who you are.

It was actually a wonder that the Sunday Times did the story considering it had been done during the week. I know a few paragraphs in the Times, Telegraph and Guardian is not enough, but the sundays don't retread the same ground as the dailies. If it's been covered, it's been covered. There's so much to say about the politics of news reporting, and I couldn't do it justice here. Another time youngblood, another time.

No comments: