Friday, February 09, 2007

Ghana must go!

I went to the Ghana v Nigeria game at Griffin Park on Tuesday. I went, of course as a journo, so I was that rare bird, the neutral observer. So, Nigeria's 4-1 loss didn't hurt me one bit... When Nigeria failed to qualify for the World Cup last year, everyone said that was a wake-up call. And on Tuesday at Griffin Park, the loss to Ghana was also, wait for it, a wake-up call. But I quite like the spirit of the some of the organisers who were there. They're quite keen for Nigeria not to lose faith, and to restore some morale to the team. "We need to organise another friendly soon. You know who we always beat, don't you?" Jamaica, I replied. "Exactly!"

The Guardian blog has what has to be the best match report. Ever.

This article really should be written by The Guy from Ghanaian Radio (TGGR). Because last night he was awesome. Never did catch his name, but only because breaking his commentary to ask him would have been a crime against passion. "Fifteen years! Fifteen years! Ladies and gentlemen it has been 15 painful years since Ghana beat Nigeria!" he hollered in a tone that made it clear he considered this to be a national scandal. "I'm telling you, tonight must be different." And it was. Read on...

4 comments:

Chxta said...

Enough already...X-(

Anonymous said...

If self-flagellation and even so the embarrassment of defeat allows Nigeria to sort itself out from the interfering government and the disorganised NFA, through the coaching staff to the prima-donna Europe-based players, some results might appear to make us all proud.

Meanwhile, Ghana has every right to have broken the 15-year jinx and Nigeria, well, they can make this a one-off or a recurrent debacle, even I cannot say I am confident in the former happening, for now.

Noella said...

Lol, my brother sent me that article, it was sooo funny, I found myself chanting Ghana must go in my room, 15 YEARS, 15 YEARS, Classic

Anonymous said...

Read the article a couple of days ago...Excellent piece.